Friday, October 29, 2010

Tools of the Trade...

Everyone has tools. No matter what it is you do, you usually need something to do it with. Musicians need their instruments, Mechanics need wrenches, computer programmers need computers, and scientists need like beakers and Bunsen-burners and stuff... I think... Anyways, you get the point!

As a missionary, I have a lot of tools at my desposal. I have my car, phone, cards, pamphlets, planners, and most recently facebook and blogs... But all of those pale in comparison to my most favorite tool, the one I use most and is most effective at bringing people closer to Jesus Christ... the Book of Mormon.


But what is the Book of Mormon and why is it so important? 

Christ Appears in America
The Book of Mormon is an ancient record of Prophets here on the American continent, who knew about and testified of Jesus Christ and His life. It was written by a family who left Jerusalem around 600 B.C. and came to America to start a new life in the Promised land. They teach their children the gospel and prophecy about the coming of Christ, who at the climax of the record, comes down and teaches his disciples here the same things he taught in Jerusalem and the Bible. Eventually, the righteous people are hunted down and killed (similar to what happened to the primitive Christians) and the record was hid up in the earth by the last Prophet in the family, to be brought forth at a later time...

In comes Joseph who, as a young man was called of God to become a Prophet in these last days (to understand more about Joseph Smith, click here). Part of his calling was to restore the true Gospel of Jesus Christ on the Earth, and bring forth the Book of Mormon. He found the record, and through the power of God translated it. He went on to do much as a Prophet, and through him Christ's church, or the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (the Mormon church) was restored.

My tool set!
Everything I do, and the truthfulness of everything I teach relies completely on the Book of Mormon. If the Book of Mormon is False, then Joseph Smith was never a prophet, and this Church is not true. I love that! I love knowing that anytime I teach something that might be difficult for them to understand or accept, they can take all their doubt to the Book of Mormon. I think President Ezra Taft Benson said it best, 

"...The only problem the objector has to resolve for himself is whether the Book of Mormon is true. For is the Book of Mormon is true, then Jesus is the Christ, Joseph Smith was his prophet, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is true, and it is being led today by a prophet receiving revelation"

There is a promise at the end of the book that states if you, "... ask God, the Eternal Father, in the name of Christ, if these things are not true; and if ye shall ask with a sincere heart, with real intent, having faith in Christ, he will manifest the truth of it unto you, by the power of the Holy Ghost." (Moroni 10:4) I invite all to take that challenge.

I know that the Book of Mormon is scripture from God, and is true. I know that Joseph Smith really was called of God to bring it forth, and I am so glad that he did. Whenever I read the book, I gain that witness. Sometimes I'll find answers to questions I have been wondering about. I always feel the spirit as I read it. The book truely does teach and testify of Christ and just as Joseph Smith said, "...A man would get nearer to God by abiding by its precepts, than by any other book" Dont take my word for it, go and find out for yourself! If you want a free copy, go to the link below, or you can read it online. If you have any questions, let me know on facebook. I talk about this all day every day, and would love to shed some light for ya!

Free Book of Mormon, and more information about it! 
Read the Scriptures Online! 

No comments:

Post a Comment