Tuesday, December 14, 2010

The Lost Psalm

Nephi's Sorrow
As I ate my breakfast this morning, I had the wonderful opportunity of opening up the Book of Mormon in an effort to soak up all the Lord had for me this morning. I am continually astounded as to the things I read in the Book of Mormon but was especially touched by the words of Nephi in what is commonly reffered as his Psalm. The whole Psalm can beread in Nephi chapter 4 verses 16-35, verse 28 really stuck out to me. It reads,

"Awake, my soul! No longer adroop in sin. Rejoice, O my heart, and give place no more for the benemy of my soul."

How often has my soul felt asleep, my heart and mind lonely because I felt I was drooped in sin? How often have I been bogged down because of the Adversary, the great enemy of all our souls? As I read, I could feel Nephi's pain and really related to this rallying cry. I read on, and began to feel empowered when he went on to say,

"O Lord, I have atrusted in thee, and I will btrust in thee forever. I will not put my ctrust in the arm of flesh; for I know that cursed is he that putteth his dtrust in the arm of flesh ... I know that God will give aliberally to him that asketh. Yea, my God will give me, if I bask cnot amiss; therefore I will lift up my voice unto thee; yea, I will cry unto thee, my God, the drock of my erighteousness. Behold, my voice shall forever ascend up unto thee, my rock and mine everlasting God."

When he wrote this, Nephi's dad had just died, and his brothers were starting to turn on him. In the height of this emotional turmoil, with the weight of the world piled on his shoulders, he cried out for help. He realized that the real source of happiness and refuge is the Savior. He knew that there was no reason to wallow in his sorrow, but that he could turn to his Lord and find solace.

Truly Christ is there for us in our times of great sorrow. He can carry us in our times of weakness, and give us peace in times of unrest. I have witnessed the Lord "give liberally" when I was in need and sincerely asked. When we, like Nephi, feel bogged down because of our mistakes and sin, and see no way out, we can turn to our Lord, our Rock, and he will give us peace. We can truly rejoice in knowing that our Savior has suffered all so that we dont have to.

No comments:

Post a Comment